First day…

Today was my first day back in the work force since I retired from the now 9 person firm last Friday June 13, 2008. It was odd but a good kind of odd. It was also my first day at the new firm. I had an outfit planned for the new day. A cute blue top with some wide leg linen pants. I arrived on time but had trouble getting pass the front door. The buzzer system is one of those dial up types and it didn’t work very well. Luckily, one of my colleagues arrived and we entered together. The elevator was out so we climbed up some steep steps to the 4th floor. My boss was out of the office this morning but was expected back mid morning. I saw and flipped through an architectural magazine until the part-time bookkeeper came in and started me on the new employee paper work. All new employees are required to fill out the following two forms: Form W-4 and Form I-9. When you are completing these forms, you are required to have specific identification such as a current ID card, or Driver’s License, to name a couple. In addition to having some sort of photographic identification, you must also present your Social Security card. However, if you have a passport, that is even better. Usually, your employer or the person who is setting you up in the company will have a list of acceptable identification requirements. If they don’t give it to you, ask them for it.

After filling out the paperwork, the PT bookkeeper informed me that my boss left something for me to review. It was for one of the projects that I will be working on. It’s an apartment renovation in an interesting residential building overlooking the Park. I read through the emails and looked through the drawings.

My new boss eventually came into the office and we sat down and talked about the project I was reviewing while waiting for him along with another project that I would be participating in. Both projects are residential in scope. One was an apartment renovation while the other was a add-on to an existing building structure. For the apartment renovation, my boss wanted me to do the construction administration, which I was comfortable with. I’ve become rather skilled at it and only hope to become better. The other residential project requires help in drawing production, which again, I was comfortable with.

The office is small but comfortable. There wasn’t room for me in the main office with the rest of my colleagues so my new boss offered me his seat and computer. I don’t know how long this will last. The boss informed me that he was pretty much ready to sign a lease for a new office space not too far from where we currently are. In fact, it was not very far from the previous firms I used to work at. The office space will be a share. I’m not sure what that means but I know the building he referred to. I like that area very much and am glad I was able to find a new firm to join that also agreed that this particular downtown neighborhood was a great place to work.

The first day went off without any problems or issues. I was able to get some things sorted out for the apartment renovation before I left for the day; an 8 hour day vs. the 7 and a half that was accustomed to for 4 years! I was pleased with my first day and look forward to gaining the trust of my new boss and looking forward to the day when I am assigned a full project to design and build.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s